Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Members Cars

It's That much closer!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mygirls63

It's That much closer!

This was my Thanksgiving weekend treat to myself.
Had to do something, the dog stole my pumpkin pie!

This just means that i get to devote my time to smaller more expensive things like driveline & suspension...

It has a few minor flaws but I "retired" from this type of work over four years ago, so I was little rusty. But hey it's a drag car to beat on, not a trailer queen!

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:44 am 
mygirls63

Even closer. The car has now seen the ground for the first time in four years.

The motivation level is extremely high. I just wish the checkbook could keep up.

The fuel system is 95% complete, as is most of the wiring.

The rear axle is complete. Moser 35 spline axles, spool and Moser nodular case. Narrowed 9" 51" wide. CalTrac split leaf springs and CalTrac bars.

The front suspension and steering is completely rebuilt and installed. I installed Wilwood Pro front disk brakes. All new brake lines. I still need to bend & flare the lines for the rear axle and redrill the brake drums.

Next up is a headliner, tin work and Lexan.

I have the heads down at the shop. Doing a three angle valve job and bowl blend. I need to rering the motor and install new bearings.

So close yet so far away!

Post Fri May 29, 2009 12:47 am 
IceLane

Scott,

That paint looks flawless!

Are you planning on driving the car on the street?

Post Fri May 29, 2009 8:01 am 
mygirls63

No street duty at all. Strictly a drag car.

The paint has it's flaws! I used to do this for a living, but my back went south. Three surgeries later it became a very part time hobby.

I started with the intentions of perfection, but the car was so rusty and I got a little burnt out. I had to stop being so anal since it is a race car.

I haven't had a paint gun in my hands in almost 5 years and my favorite clear coat was discontinued so I had to swich products. Those 2 things kicked me in the teeth and I ended up with a little too much orange peal on the sides of the car, plus some "fisheyes" on the deck lid and quarter. Most of them polished out ok.

Main problem was I was rusty, as well and the burn out led to missing a few small hail dents.

Overall it is a pretty decent looking car for a race car though. The plan was to keep things pretty basic and concentrate on going fast!

If you didn't notice I am my own worst critic!

Thanks for the complement.

Post Sun May 31, 2009 12:51 am 
K Daddy

well i love it. its simple and effective. like the color and the set up is incredable. wat motor/trans set up ar u running? cant wait to c the finished project

Post Sun May 31, 2009 1:23 pm 
mygirls63

289, C-4 automatic for now.
The shortblock came from another member of this board, Larry, IE: 1320lane.
60 over bore, Aluminum rods and Canfield Aluminum heads. Victor Jr. intake and solid roller cam. PA built C-4, Chance stall convertor (yet to be determined), probably will stall around 5500 to 6000 RPM. Pro Systems Alcohol carb set up for E-85.

Final race weight is a great unknown. We started out thinking the car would be around 2900 lbs w/o driver, but as I worked on it, I have a feeling it will be lighter, but who knows!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Post Sun May 31, 2009 2:53 pm 
1320lane

Scott, you gonna have it done and debut it at the Shelby meet in Tulsa?!? Very Happy

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:57 am 
mygirls63

Wow, Larry you have that much faith in me??

I seriously doubt that will happen. I still have alot of details ahead of me, and even though I am motivated, the check book has the final say!

Just to make a pass this fall would make me happy.

The heads are about half done. The intake seats are done and we tried to do a radius on the exhaust seats, but they are too close to the combustion chamber wall in a couple of spots to clear the cutter tool without cutting gooves in the outer wall. So we went with a 3 angle on the exhaust seat as well. Mark at work is doing a pretty cool 3 angle seat on these. We have 4 seats to finish then we need to run a radius cutter through the bowls and then start with the hand work to complete the bowl blend.

The ports will stay untouched for this engine. They will get a CNC port job for the next engine if I stay with a Windsor. (can you say 385 series with Kaase P51 heads? Very wishfull thinking there!)

Do you remember if you ever put bearings in the 289? We tore it down and the wear was very minimal. Everything looked pretty good. It did seem to have high tension rings though.

When we tore down the short block, one of the rods disappeared for an afternoon. I found it up front in the boss's office. Everyone had to lay a hand on it! Whats the big deal?

Good to hear from you though. Whats happening with your ride? Is that why we haven't seen you around lately?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:59 pm 
gasmanlg

looks really great! interested in how the E85 works for you, keep us updated. building an E85 carb for my small block for street use. should be fun.

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:50 am 
IceLane

quote:
Originally posted by mygirls63:
Final race weight is a great unknown. We started out thinking the car would be around 2900 lbs w/o driver, but as I worked on it, I have a feeling it will be lighter, but who knows!

My unrestored '63 200 6-cyl Fairlane weighs 2900 lbs. With some glass panels, a missing back seat and the lexan windows I think you can come in under 2900, easy.

Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:57 am 
Arky

Whats the numbers for the wilwood front brakes? change bearing? nice!!

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:01 pm 
1320lane

Hey Scott, did you receive the cam card in the mail?

Larry

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:12 pm 
mygirls63

Yeah, Larry I did. I have been swamped with the harvest season, so I forgot to thank you!

I worked 61 hours last week and that included taking half the day off Friday!

On a good note I used that time off to pick up a sheet of MR10 Lexan for the car. I now have 1 quarter window in and 3/4's of the aluminum panels installed now in the rear of the car.

It has been hot & humid so I have had a difficult time with motivation!

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:19 pm 
1320lane

Well, I wished I was independantly wealthy and could come up and help you.

Be sure to keep me in the loop for it's debut. Where would that be at? Ark City?

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 pm 
IceLane

How are you fitting the lexan into the windows?

1320, you wouldn't happen to be on the GarageJournal.com forum, would you?

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: