Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Help with 67 AC and no thermactor- 428 engine

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
fastmerc

Help with 67 AC and no thermactor- 428 engine

Greetings!

Finally found this board after being denied re-entry to the "old" site by the moderator..... could never figure that one out..... I was there... then I wasn't!

Kelly from Fresno, you still here???

Anyway, I cracked a (or put on a cracked...) head on my Squire Wagon, put on a new set without thermactor, and now I am trying to find the "correct" bracket for the adjustable idler for the AC belt. I have scoured thru the parts books only to get frustrated at what I can't find. Book sez Galaxie part, but friends say not!

Anyone out there have a 67 with AC, no thermactor, and a big block???

Here's a pic of the bracket that I think I need....please advise if you know otherwise, or have a bracket. I have the idlers already somehow....

Thanks!
Steve

Last edited by fastmerc on Thu May 11, 2006 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu May 11, 2006 12:47 pm 
1320lane

I've got a couple FE adjustable idlers with brackets in a batch of parts I bought, but I have no idea what they're to. I suspect they're for trucks as many of the parts I got have "T" as the third character, but these have no numbers that I've found so far.

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Thu May 11, 2006 1:40 pm 
GerryProctor

There were various non-thermactor FE systems and as far as I know they all seem work. They vary by years and body styles but all the systems I've seen all align the pullies correctly. They vary by how the idler pulley is placed on the bracket so you need to have a complete bracket/idler. Most mount the pulley on a bracket that attaches to the compressor. Some use an idler that bolts to the water pump on the passenger side. Some use dual idlers. My '67 Fairlain 390 had a thermactor A/C system. I pulled it and put a non-thermactor idler from a Galaxy on it. It worked fine. I have a complete 428 out of a '67 T-bird and it uses a nearly identical sysem execpt for some extra bracing and how the idler adjusts.

But a better solution is in going with a Sanden conversion.

Post Mon May 15, 2006 5:44 am 
fastmerc

Thanks!

Gerry,

Yes, I am familiar with the different variants that you speak of! For the 67 Fairlane at least, the MPC sorta "loses track" of the non-thermactor cars with air conditioning! The bracket that I was seeking, and found this weekend on a truck(!), is actually a "front" alternator mount (see top picture). What appears in the illustrations would lead you to believe that you maintained the same alt bracket as used with the air pump, but mounted an idler to it..... THis does NOT work, as the idler hits the alt fan blades, and is also way out of alignment.

I backed up to 1966 in the books, and took the recommendations for the C5Txxxx alt bracket and idler (ref'd as a C9Txxx replacement) and this is what I found Saturday, and installed yesterday!!!! Everything lines up perfectly. Just need to get a shorter belt now!!!

Just another Fordism!

I was hoping to try and find a 66-67 Galaxie setup, which used the large steel bracket that attaches to the AC pump, and has the triangular adjuster bolted to it(easier to get replacements!), as the lower pump bracket is a C7AA-2882-G casting, which puts the compressor up about an inch, from the T-bird and 68" Galaxie brackets.....but none were to be found on my trek thru the yards!

So, on to the Duraspark conversion and hopefully running in a few days!!!!!

Soon, the dragongwagon will live again!
fastmerc

Post Mon May 15, 2006 1:07 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: