Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Dumb engine questions from newb

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Billy C

Dumb engine questions from newb

Hi y'all. I am new here. Please put up with me til I get familiar with old Fords and this site. Just bought a 62 Fairlane a few months ago and it has a 170-6 and a C4 with a BM floor shifter, It runs great and looks great at least on the outside. I posted pics below, hope it works right. So, I figured I was gonna be happy with it as is. Wrong. My son just picked up a 77 Nova with a built 350 and I went for a ride in it. That 170-6 just ain't gonna do it for me. Which brings me to my question. If I am reading all these forums right it looks like a 302 and a C4 tranny is a good fit with no hassles. I want a streetable daily driver with some rumble and power. 250 - 300 hp? Suggestions? Links to a btdt how-to maybe. 302 engines are readily available here in East TX. If this is a good engine for the swap which ones should I be looking at? I would like to stay carbed for simplicity. I want no computer or emissions crap in this car. TIA. I'm a Chevy guy and really more of a bike guy so I'm a bit of a babe in the Ford woods here.

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:30 pm 
Finally 1

I would get a 5.0 from a Mustang 87-93 . You will have to change the timing cover and add a fuel pump drive to the cam . I would also go with a B303 motorsports camshaft it makes great power and has a good thump at idle . Get a Performer Rpm intake and a 600 Holley carb and you will be good to go .

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:48 am 
Billy C

Thanks. I ordered a Holley 600. This will take me a while to put together as the budget is tight. I'll begin collecting parts and get there when I get there.

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:44 pm 
Billy C

Seems like I read somewhere that I need to use shorty headers to clear the shock towers. Is that right? Will the factory shorty headers (see pic) work or should I go aftermarket?

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:14 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: