Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Brakes and spindles

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mygirls63

Brakes and spindles

I have been looking into disc brakes for my 63 Fairlane drag car.

It "appears" that the spindles were the same from my car to the later (66 & 67) drum brake cars. A couple of the Ebay kits say they fit the 63 through 67 Fairlanes and Mustangs, and I have E-mailed a couple of these as well.

I called Aerospace today to see and they claim they are slightly different and want me to send them the spindles to make a custom set up.

Besides that they want me to run the Pro street set up due to what they think of as a heavy car.

I used to believe the car was heavy, but as I assemble the car I am starting to believe it is considerably lighter than I first thought.

I wanted the heavy duty drag kit which is lighter.

Does anyone know if the later Mustang (65-67) and Fairlane spindles are the same? They look the same but I dont have a set in my hand to compare them to!

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:16 am 
maroon63

If you want a budget disc setup,Granada or Maverick spindles work.The Granada has a bigger tie-rod socket so you need tie rod ends modified to work.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:24 am 
dave s

Spindles

I am currently using 67 Mustang spindles and disc brake assy., on my "64" only swap was dual M/cyl. and proportional valve (manual) Straight bolt in.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 am 
mygirls63

Budget is not the issue as I mentioned I want light weight Aerospace brakes.

Dave, were the spindles actually different as Aerospace stated?
They sure appear to be identical bolt pattern etc where the drum backing plate bolts on. I hate to question the experts...but I hate to order a mustang conversion kit and find they are right and be stuck with them and not to mention I am impatient and need to get this car on 4 wheels!

The race season starts soon and I am no where close to done with the car and the withdrawls are killing me!

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:42 pm 
jppatches

brakes

Email this guy,he has alot of brake kits.info@discbrakeswap.com

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:28 am 
dave s

Spindles

Scott, I got off on a tangent here! I bolted the 67 caliper assy. directly to my 64 spindles. just removed the backing plate and installed caliper assy.sorry if I confused you.
dave s

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:58 pm 
mygirls63

I decided to go with the Wilwood Front Heavy Duty Pro Series Disc Brake Kit.

I am getting the kit for a 71-74 Maverick.
I bought some drum spindles today off of a 72 Maverick. I will see if the tie rod ends fit Sunday.
If not some new tie rod ends will be for sale!!

This kit along with new steel braided lines, new master cylinder and adj. porportioning valve will run me about $100 more than a MP brakes stock style conversion and will shed quite a bit of weight.

I could have done the Granada swap as well, but the V-8 spindles are getting pricey. This would have saved me about $300, but again I wanted a lighter setup.

Keep in mind This is a drag only car, weight is important to me, and safety is at the top of the list so I wouldn't buy salvage yard rotors & calipers.

I believe that Wilwood's or Aerospace's early Mustang kit would have fit the 63 spindles, but both companies tech line stated otherwise.

The only thing I can think of that might be different on these 2 spindles would be the bearings in the hubs.

What wheel bearings did you end up using?

The Maverick spindle is slightly beefier and uses a much larger set of bearings.

Thanks for your help Dave.

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:34 pm 
dave s

Spindles

Looked up the spindles in parts man.
62/63 C30Z 3105 A
C30Z 3106 A
64 C40Z 3105 A
C40Z 3106 A
I would think there must be a difference or they would have kept the original part #
dave s

Post Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:05 pm 
mygirls63

Well, after purchasing the maverick spindles from an early (72) Maverick, I found that it bolts on like a Granada spindle, uses the Granada spindle and the only real difference between the 63 & 72 cars is the size of the actual spindle and the Maverick spindle steering arm is lower (bump steer). It wasn't a good purchase.

So... I researched some more on the differences between the 63 Fairlane spindle & the 65-68 Mustang, Falcon & 66-67 Fairlane spindle.

None that I can find as far as how the drum brake backing plate mounts, and they all use the same wheel bearings inner & outer.

Unless for some stupid reason such as Ford made the spindle length longer or shorter (the Maverick length was the same as my 63, just a larger spindle ala 71 and up Mustang), the Mustang brake kit will bolt right on.

Wish me luck.. I just ordered it!

The difference between the 62/63 Fairlane and the 64 may be in the steering arm angle or the knuckle casting thickness. I talked with the guys at a local salvage yard and they looked it up in the Hollander interchange and by that book, nothing back then interchanges with anything!

They had 1 spindle only off of a 1966 Mustang and by the eyeball it looked the same as mine. I didn't take mine along to compare.

I will have to assemble the Wilwood brake kit to test fit it on my spindle, but I am confident it will fit. I will know maybe this weekend.

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:54 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: