Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Modifications

351W

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
66Fairlane

351W

I have just purchased a 1984 351W out of an old ford truck. It is going into the 66 Fairlane. Want to get a lot of power and I was thinking about that Edelbrock Kit (heads, cam, intake, ect.) from Summitt. What do ya'll think?
I want it to be my daily driver but also want to haul Twisted Evil

Someone told me to ditch this idea and go for AFR heads, comp. cam, and Edelbrock Performer RPM.

Any advice? I was gonna "stroke" it out but cash is not there Sad

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:26 pm 
Finally 1

I would prolly go with a set of Trick Flow Twisted wedge heads and the Rpm cam and intake . You will need adjustable valve trian for the Rpm as it will be on the edge and I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it . This will give it very decent lope on idle and should rev to 6500 easily . On another note this cam is not very vacum friendly so you may need a stall convertor if you have a auto trans to get a very good idle quality once you place it into gear .

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:39 am 
66Fairlane

Thank you for the input. I have heard some goods things about Trick Flow but never really looked into it.
I was talking to a friend the other day and he stated that a really good cam are those Comp Cam Thumpers and those Vodoo cams.
I just want to have that power when I need it but still be able to take it to work.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:52 pm 
K Daddy

From what i know, and wat my mechanics say edelbrock is the bottom of the barrel. especially head wise. The carbs not too bad but very difficult to tune. If u plan to take everything out of the box and rework the heads and make them flo correctly, and have time to deburr the intake id say go for it, its a great price, but there are much better alternitives to edelbroke

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:37 pm 
mygirls63

Edelbrock heads are not that bad! They have several levels of heads performance wise. There are some fast cars running the Victor series & glidden heads.

Having said that, the Performer & Performer RPM heads are a good head for a mild to warm street car (302 based engine). It is all in the total combination. One problem you will find with their heads and many other heads is the quality of the valve train & springs that they install.

The Performer RPM head is a better inline head than most all factory Ford heads, except for some of the Ford Racing heads such as the Z head.

Plan on replacing the springs to match your cam. The retainers & keepers will be steel, and the valves will be a street series performance valve. Hardly the stuff bracket cars are made of, but decent for a mild street build.

The Performer & Rpm heads will be maxed out rather quickly, they do not have much room to port. They will be too small for decent performance on a 351.

A better out of the box choice for the 351 would be the Victor Jr heads.

AFR heads are decent too, have some room to grow, but usually do not have much better valve train parts.

The Twisted Wedge will require a piston with the matching valve notches. Not a problem if the short block is getting an over bore. Probably a better choice than the ones above if the OP really wants to get serious. But I would reccomend the TW 190CC Fast as Cast for the 351. (This would probably be my choice for what I read that you are after. More information would be nice though)

Serious heads would include the TW head with a CNC port, The TFS High Ports, Canfields, Edelbrock Victor Glidden Series and Cleveland heads. Most people would not be able to set up a canted valve geometry correctly, so I hesitate to mention them.

Plan your combination, then contact a cam manufacturer, either one such as Comp Cams or one of the many custom grinders to match it all up from there. Do not choose a cam by how it sounds or how it lopes.

Oh, and I would run an Edelbrock Victor Jr intake and Holley HP style carb, not a junk Edelbrock or thunder series carb. This comment pertains to tuneability!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:43 pm 
Finally 1

Tfs states that you can run a 9.5 compression motor without having problems with piston to valve clearance . I ran a set of there heads with a Rpm camshaft on a 9.5 motor with no problems . The car ran a best of 12.26 at 108 with a T5 and a 4.11 gear and still got 18 mpg easily when driving it normal.

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:14 am 
K Daddy

while i dont agree with everything mygirl said, he is very informed and has a lot of knoledge.
Deff steer clear of the low grade edlbrock carb that comes in their intake/carb/head package.
Like he said very difficult to tune. I have a carter carb which is essentially an edlbrock with style lol. but i have a hard time tuning and the float is difficult to adjust if it becomes stuck

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:03 pm 
mygirls63

Dont worry K Daddy, we all have the right to disagree!

However I am concerned about a statement made that the TW heads will run on any engine with 9.5 to 1 or less compression. That statement is risky.

Various piston manufacturers design pistons with, without and with different depth valve reliefs. The TW valve placement is just that, twisted. It will not align and fit in every piston valve relief.

The cam events make a difference in piston to valve clearance (PTV), and who knows how much if any the block deck and heads may have been surfaced. Valve size makes a difference. Head gasket thickness can be different. There are too many variables.

The clearance might be barely there, on the ragged edge of spec, and you never have a problem. Then under a heavy foot one day, the engine hits an RPM that is too high for the cheap springs on the head and wham, valve float. What happens next? The piston chases the exhaust valves closed. Minimum clearance with valve float, what happens then?

My point is, and I am not ragging on anyone here, but whenever a cam is changed, the heads are changed etc., PTV always, and I mean always should be checked. Failure to check can be very costly.

If my shop gives out bad advice to someone on a subject like this, it is followed and then the customer comes back with 8 bent valves, guess who pays for the bad advice!

My point is this: never assume, check it properly, make sure and then enjoy the car for a long time. Don't be shy to share your combinations. We all learn something new every day.

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:16 pm 
mygirls63

quote:
Originally posted by K Daddy:
while i dont agree with everything mygirl said, he is very informed and has a lot of knoledge.
Deff steer clear of the low grade edlbrock carb that comes in their intake/carb/head package.
Like he said very difficult to tune. I have a carter carb which is essentially an edlbrock with style lol. but i have a hard time tuning and the float is difficult to adjust if it becomes stuck

But a properly set up Carter will usually hold it's tune much longer and be trouble free.

The only place I do not like the Carter style carb is in a performance application. They are actually a much better daily driver, to mild performance style replacement carb that a Holley.

Are the Edelbrock carbs made by Carter or are they a knock off?

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:19 pm 
mygirls63

quote:
Originally posted by K Daddy:
From what i know, and wat my mechanics say edelbrock is the bottom of the barrel. especially head wise. The carbs not too bad but very difficult to tune. If u plan to take everything out of the box and rework the heads and make them flo correctly, and have time to deburr the intake id say go for it, its a great price, but there are much better alternitives to edelbroke

Actually this is pretty good advice in a way. You should plan to disassemble about any head and check them before you bolt them on. You can catch alot of issues with assembled heads.
We even found a loose valve seat in a set of big block Ford Kaase P-51 heads that were going on a customer's race motor. (Kaase was very upset that it got out of the shop that way. They immediately sent us 2 new heads, Wonderful to work with!)

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 pm 
66Fairlane

Thank ya'll for all the input. It is really appreciated Very Happy
I haven't really thought about the Victor Jr. heads or the Trick Flow. I did just purchase my Comp Cam Thumper Kit (cam, lifters, timing chain, ect.) That is going in this weekend. It has the the 279/297 intake/exhaust duration so now I have to get the heads to match.
I also just found out from my engine shop that I have to bore the motor out to .40. The walls were not the best, so, now I have to get new pistons and then match those to the heads. It is always something.
Mission is to have that daily driver to work but still be able to smoke these young kids in their wanna-be hot rods Twisted Evil

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:01 am 
IceLane

As mygirls63 eluded to, that may be a blessing in disguise. While more expensive, this gives you the option to match your pistons to your heads.

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:40 pm 
66Fairlane

Excellent advice from all of ya'll. I really appreciate it.

Well, the motor should be completed next week. The engine shop is actually gonna dial in the cam and install the pistons, crank, ect. I was gonna do it but when the price was right, why not have them do it Laughing

Luckily the cam kit can with all the springs, ect. so things will go quicker.

I am putting my Holley Avenger back on with a Performer RPM manifold. I did have an Edelbrock carb before my Holley and really didn't like it. It would always flood out even after the adjustments. It was a smaller carb so I just could't diagnose the problem so I got a Holley.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. That old 289 is getting tired.

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:31 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: