Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

66 Shock Swap?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
scotta66gt

66 Shock Swap?

Howdy folks. The rear shocks on the 66 Fairlane are pretty easy to get, with a good range of selection. Not so on the front! They have a funky 2 pin bottom and a threaded rod type top. Has anyone tried (or succeeded) in making a shock swap piece? Either to convert the bottom to fit a regular round shock eye, or the top? If there was some way to use a standard shock mount where the shock had open round eyes top and bottom things would be great, you could do all kinds of things cheap. Even halfway would be good, then I could use these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220335671096

Just thought there might be some thoughts or experience out there...

Thanks, Scott

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:36 am 
fairlaniac

Shocks

Scott,
What problem are you having with the two lower shock studs? I have found the Fairlane front shocks some of the easiest to change as the stud is welded and all you need is a deep socket. Even if they are rusty the stud cannot spin. I usually get the back nut first before I jack the car up. As you jack it up the angle of the spring perch changes and makes it harder to get the socket on the nut but other than that I like the design. I actually run Granada shocks on the front as they have a shorter stroke which accomodated my front being lowered by an inch.

JMO

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:52 am 
mygirls63

I agree.

Calvert Racing has a great assortment of both 90/10 drag shocks and Rancho adjustable shocks available.

Try finding that range of front shocks available for the front of the 62 - 65 cars!

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:24 pm 
fairlaniac

Calvert Racing

Calver shocks are direct replacement. They carry Rancho and now have their label on shocks made for them. I think Scott is looking for a modification/conversion to the mount and put the shock on with a single lower bolt like many shocks. That's my interpretation.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:31 am 
scotta66gt

Clarification...

Yeah, I was trying to figure out a way to use a "universal" shock. I agree the existing type is easy to replace, I've done it a few times now, but the selection is limited and pricey. I managed to score some single adjustable QA1 shocks, but a double adjustable shock in that style is much $$$. There are many, many double eye shocks that are cheaper, which is why I'm trying to figure out if there's some way to use a double eye shock instead.

I was trying to figure out something like a horizontal rod at the top with spacers to center the shock. For the bottom, it almost looks like 62-65 mounts could be made to work.

Thanks, Scott

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:31 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: