Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

T5 swap

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
stumpjumper

T5 swap

Hello all. I have two 66 cars. One is a GT that is in desperate need of help that I am going to get rid of. The other is a 500 with a 289. The 500 has an automatic and I am looking into putting a T5 in it. I have seen some of you guys have them in already. What is the trick, what parts work best, and what problems occured? What is easier, the cable or switching the fork? Also what type of T5 is best and what are the beneifits(better feul milage)? This car has the bench seat in it. I plan on putting a 351w maybe stroked in the future. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you,
John

Post Tue May 09, 2006 7:59 pm 
mygirls63

World class T-5 is the only one that stands a chance in its stock form behind a mildly modified 351 (untill its thrashed some). A standard T-5 will live behind a stock motor fine. Can't answer you in regards to the cable vs hydraulics question though. Good luck.

Post Tue May 09, 2006 9:07 pm 
codycr6

trans

You could go to a Tremec 3550 like I did... if you use the spacer from Darkhorse Performance, you can bolt it up with a T-10 bellhousing, and then you will only need to shorten your driveshaft.... all the clutch linkage will be factory stuff, though you will have to use a clutch for the Tremecs input shaft. With the T5, I think the pattern for the transmission to the bellhousing is different, so you would have to use it's bellhousing and either modify it for a push clutch, or use a hydraulic throwout bearing. Plus side is that the factory driveshaft might fit.

Post Wed May 10, 2006 7:22 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: