Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Transmission Feedback wanted

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
cshan187

Transmission Feedback wanted

Hello All,

I have a slightly beefed up 289 (Cam, intake, carb, headers)in my 66 Fairlane. Currently have a C-4. I regeared the rear to a 4.11 posi. I am looking for the pros/cons and suggestions on what I should do.

Option #1 - Rebuild the C-4 with a shift kit and torque converter. If so, what torque converter do you recommend?

Option #2 - Look for an AOD that I can swap and rebuild.

Option #3 - your suggestions

I would also like to put an aftermarket floor or console shifter in..any thoughts on difficulty or feasibility with either of those options?

Thank you for your time & any input is greaetly appreciated.

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:38 am 
fair67cp

Rebuild the C-4 with a shift kit unless you absolutely need to have overdrive. It is the easiest to do and not invasive. Just depends on how willing you are to go the extra distance.

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:07 pm 
cshan187

That's the way I was leaning...thanks for the advice!

Do you have any suggestions on what type of converter to get?

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:08 am 
nick

AOD

I vote for the AOD. Before this year's Hot Rod Power Tour, I received a free early model AOD. between the rebuild kit, slightly higher stall convertor, driveshaft shortening, and rebuild video, I invested about 850 bucks into it. I saw just shy of 20 mpg on the Power Tour.
The gear spacing is much better than my old FMX. My next swap is to go from the 3.00:1 gears to something in the higher 3's.

Nick

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:13 am 
Scott66gta

AOD

If you do get an AOD, be sure it is from a V-8 vehicle. THe others will work, but the shifting is screwy....

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
fair67cp

Sorry, but I don't have a recommendation for a converter. I don't do much anymore with my Lane. She has been in "limbo" for the last few years and I'm at odds as to what to do with her. I did have the transmission rebuilt a few years ago and they replaced the torque converter with stock. Since I still have the 6 cylinder 200 in her that was okay at the time.

I hope someday to get back to working on her, but will depend on outcome of my divorce. It seems since we don't have kids or property to argue over, the fairlane turned out to be something she "wants". I always wondered why she insisted in having the title in her name. Hmmm ... just a warning to everyone. Ah well, still have a garage available and other "toys" for now, so even though I still have possession have to wait for my court date! I'm not hurting for anything and God will provide for my needs. Amen!

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 am 
mike22

quote:
Originally posted by fair67cp:
Sorry, but I don't have a recommendation for a converter. I don't do much anymore with my Lane. She has been in "limbo" for the last few years and I'm at odds as to what to do with her. I did have the transmission rebuilt a few years ago and they replaced the torque converter with stock. Since I still have the 6 cylinder 200 in her that was okay at the time.

I hope someday to get back to working on her, but will depend on outcome of my divorce. It seems since we don't have kids or property to argue over, the fairlane turned out to be something she "wants". I always wondered why she insisted in having the title in her name. Hmmm ... just a warning to everyone. Ah well, still have a garage available and other "toys" for now, so even though I still have possession have to wait for my court date! I'm not hurting for anything and God will provide for my needs. Amen!

God women are so damn evil. For christ sake what she gonna do with it!!!!!!!!

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:13 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: