Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Member Projects

64 wagon build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
scorcher1967

Got some work done today. Worked on drilling out the spot welds, and separating the wheel wells, and rocker panels, from the post and side.
From the measurments, and such, these parts will weld right into the wagon body, needing only a fill panel from the window regulator panel, to the trim panel in the wagon area.

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:26 pm 
alienboyfinney

Got an update

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:36 pm 
scorcher1967

Unfortunately, the Fairlane got back burnered. I take on side projects to fund my own cars, and got a few too many things going right now.

First, an 84 yamaha a guy pulled out of his field. $4 a gallon gas prompted a restoration

The corvette got finished, but now I have a 62 MG Midget to do a full restoration on.

I also rebuilt a autolite 4100 1.12 for a 64 K code fairlane, and a autolite 4300 for my 67 390 mustang. Finished detailing the new 4V intake for the 67.

I still plan to have the conversion to 2 doors done by the end of summer, then get it painted over the winter.

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:24 pm 
scorcher1967

The fairlane goes to the shop friday to start the conversion and body work. About friggin time. I will take pics of the progress.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:48 am 
scorcher1967

the passenger side got cut off. the initial test fit went very well.

I will get pics next week, but as far as the sheetmetal goes, it is as straight forward as possible. The windows will be trickier, but not hard. Most likely, it will get the sedan vent window, lenghtened door window, and a removable quarter window. No post, so when the windows are down/out, it will be open from vent window to cargo window. Its not as I originally envisioned, but it will be cool.

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:17 am 
scorcher1967

Forget the dang camera again. Did some window fitting. Had to pull the quarter vent window from the original door to match the a-pillar angle. This changes the angle on the door window, but no probem, and we have to have a window made to make up for the height difference as well. Same story with the rear window, it will need to be longer and taller. But it looks like it will all come together and have post-less windows. Will definately not forget the camera next week.

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:26 pm 
scorcher1967

progress

Made some real progress finally.
Test hanging the door and rear panel

Once the door was hung correctly, we marked all the final cuts on the rear panel.

Interesting, but not shocking. The bean counters back in the day used the same rocker panel for all body styles. The indents on the wagons rocker are for the hardtop style rear window guides.

tack welding the panels

more welding and clean up.

All the time test fitting and checking paid off. very straight body lines. I should have taken one of the drivers side with the original doors, not nearly as straight.

A couple of shots of the car with the panel fully welded in. Door operates like factory. There is a slight sag when off the jack. About 1/8th of an inch at the top of the door. We will either fix it when all the rust repair gets done, and adds better structural integrity, or bend it back on a frame rack. (or build up some sub-frame connectors)

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 pm 
abe_lugo

Re: progress

How come you don't lower the top to get the smooth hardtop look?
I'm sure you've seen this wagon http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2509270
it was made from a hardtop. I do like all the info your posting, please keep it up!

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:56 am 
ccain

Any more progress on this car?

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm 
scorcher1967

A long time gone, eh? I just picked up the wagon from the body shop yesterday. Almost a year! And guess what...it has not been touched since the last pictures were posted. Mad Thats why I picked it up....not because its done...

It is back at my house, so between the MG project, the 73 fj55, and the Mustang, I will actually start working on it again. After I evict the mice, rabbits, and birds that have taken up residence. Evil or Very Mad

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 am 
1320lane

Tell me more about the yard you pulled the donor from. I've got a buddy looking hard for the cab and front doghouse for a '56 COE, a Big Job would be a plus. Looks like you're way up north and west, Montanaish.

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:37 pm 
scorcher1967

quote:
Originally posted by 1320lane:
Tell me more about the yard you pulled the donor from. I've got a buddy looking hard for the cab and front doghouse for a '56 COE, a Big Job would be a plus. Looks like you're way up north and west, Montanaish.

I am up in Severance Colorado. The yard is outside of Greeley. Lots of vintage stuff.
Martin Auto Salvage
(970) 686-2460

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: