Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Member Projects

66 GT out of the shadows

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Finally 1

66 GT out of the shadows

My father bought a 66 GT new in Decmeber of 65 . The car has never seen snow and was parked in November of 1970 for the winter .During the winter he aquired a 427 from my uncle to which he intended to install the following spring . My uncle had been using the 427 in a pulliing tractor built on a M Farmhall chassis and switched to a modified chassis over the winter months and used the engine for mock up purposes . My father let him use the motor in the first part of spring to work the bugs out on the new chassis to which he blowed the motor on the first outting . My father had allready removed the orginal engine from the Fairlane and was awaiting the 427 .My father was so upset about the 427 being destroyed that he never put the car back together not even with the stock motor . Fast forward from 1970 to 1990 he had planned on selling the car and had a buyer with me being the ripe age of 22 I had a fit and pleaded with him not to sell the car to which I did convince him not to sell . He had pulled the car from storage and the tires would not hold air much more than a day so I took a set of wheels and tires from a Torino I had and put on for a set of rollers that would hold air . Fast forward to present I made a deal with my father on the car and now am the proud owner of the 66 GT . THis is the only car that I never remember having rode in since I was 2 when it was parked . The car has 35164 miles and he has everything original except carb,intake trans and shifter . I allready picked the motor up a month back and have it ready to reassemble . I have tried for years to buy this car from him or do what ever I could to get the car or to save it from the few vultures who knew of the car . THis is how I came up with my screen name I Finally Won (1) For picture you can see the car here . http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/galaxie1_/Fairlane/

Post Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 am 
dave s

66 GT

Looks like you have a Winner! Good Luck on the rebuild.

Post Mon May 19, 2008 8:23 am 
heep70

That is to cool Cool

1967 Fairlane 500 XL
1971 F250 "Highboy".
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
1980 Toyota "Trail Rig".
My 1971 "Highboy" pics

Post Tue May 20, 2008 3:48 am 
SD44

Great story! Keep us updated with pictures as you restore it! I love to see one as it progresses thru the restoration.

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am 
1320lane

Man, I hope you don't restore it, that'a a survivor!!! It's only original once.

I'd clean up the engine bay prior to reinstalling the engine, but I'd leave as much of it alone as you can. The paint on it should clean up nicely.

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Sun May 25, 2008 4:07 pm 
Finally 1

The car needs painted but I will wait untill next year to do so or maybe over the winter .The rear window needs to come out as it has a small hole in each corner where the water lay from storage .This kills me as it has never been driven in the rain or snow but has set out in the rain and had some snow sneak through the cracks of the barn from time to time . I am working on the engine bay at the moment and gonna keep the car as it was when my father drove it except for the intake and going with a Pertronics distributer . I have the Holley 3 barrel that he ran and all ready had it rebuilt but plan on running e85 so looks like it may be on the shelf untill things get worked out .I have always liked the Fe for there power but they are more timing sensitive than any motor I have ever dealt with thats why I wanna run E85 . I ordered a disc brk conversion today which uses all factory parts and all new stainless brk and fuel lines as well . I will spare no expense on this car . I am still having problems believing its setting in my garage after all these years . My wife made fun of me after I got it home because I just sat in it for about an hour listening to the garage radio .

Post Sun May 25, 2008 4:40 pm 
Finally 1

Well been moving along at a slow pace but sandblasted the car from the firewall to the back bumper and put a gallon of Por15 on it . Had one quart that was the wrong color it was supposed to be semi gloss but was gloss so had to go over it again . Disc conversion is installed with all new stainless fuel and brake lines also put a set of Kyb shocks on it . Motor and trans are done and installed with a set of Fpr headers which are very nice and fit great . I bought 4 sticks of 2.5 stainless for the exhaust and a Magnaflow universal x pipe and I am awaiting the Stainless Bassani mufflers which should be here by the weekend so shuld have the ole girl fired up by first of the week . I have posted pics in the link in my first post of the progress and will post pics of the exhaust when i get it on . I am glad I have a pipe bender and can do the exhaust myself as I paid $45.00 each for the stainless tubing and $230.00 for the mufflers plus $85.00 for the x . That is $495.00 for the exhaust system and doing it my self plus the $805.00 for the Fpr headers shipped . I had the headers coated in the Cast color they look great .

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:21 am 
jcap66

66 GT

I have the same car except mine is a conv.4-speed,same color,R you gonna keep it the same color or change it?

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:29 pm 
jcap66

66 GT

I have the same car except mine is a conv.4-speed,same color,R you gonna keep it the same color or change it?

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:30 pm 
jcap66

66 GT

will u keep it the original color?

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:42 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: