Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

How to add power steering to a 66 Fairlane GT

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
murfman66

How to add power steering to a 66 Fairlane GT

I want to change to power steering on my 66, without going to a rack and pinion setup. What will I need? And how much should I expect to spend? I have Granada discs with stock manual steering.
Thanks,
Murfman66

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 pm 
Lupins

You need the fairlane power steering gear set up I have on my shop floor.

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:45 pm 
SD44

Do NOT go back with an original 66 fairlane setup, it was pretty worthless.

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:53 am 
murfman66

Power steering

So what do you suggest? Is power rack and pinion my only choice?
Thanks,
Murfman66

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:07 pm 
GerryProctor

Depends on what you want. There's nothing wrong with the factory power steering. It works as the factory intended. If you want to improve the steering feel and responsiveness, then you're looking at an aftermarket rack and pinion. But even then, you'll still have the factory suspension, so that car won't handle any better. So now you'd be looking at two suspension options: 1)Total Control upgrade, or; 2)a new front subframe with modern suspension.

I just accept the shortcomings of the stock setup with the understanding that that's how it was back then.

Post Thu May 01, 2008 8:30 am 
steelfinattic

I agree with Gerry . Theres nothing wrong with the factory setup for power steering . I have it on my 66 and along with a larger sway bar and a little stiffer springs and KYB shocks it dosen't handle bad. Nothing like the handeling of the later model cars but pretty well considering that the design was 40 years ago. Just my opinion

Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:49 am 
murfman66

What exactly will I need to convert to '66 power steering? I read somewhere I will have to change out the steering column. Is this true? I just need a list of parts to make the swap and I'll start finding the parts.
Thanks,
Murfman66

Post Fri May 02, 2008 5:18 pm 
Coray

I put the stock power steering stuff on my 66. Did not change the steering box. When the wheels are hard right, the end of the power unit contacts the tire. Could not change box without removing motor. My Fairlane did not have the rag joint. So I would need to rermove the entire steering column. Hope this helps.

Post Wed May 07, 2008 9:18 am 
steelfinattic

You will need a power steering center drag link and a control valve that is mounted on the end of the drag link and a power cylinder and of course a pump and hoses. If your box has a rag joint it should be fine but if it doesn't it would be best to replace it with one that has it which will require changing the steering column.Your tie rods should bolt on to the power drag ling ok so you shouldn't need to replace them unless they are worn and the idler arm is different on the power cars also , The power steering cars all had the rag joint and the manual cars didn't have them until late 66 and 67 . Hope this helps

Post Thu May 08, 2008 2:26 am 
murfman66

Thanks for the information!!!

I am going to see what the local junk yard has to choose from and talk to the owner who really knows Fairlane's. He supplied me with the Granada stuff when I added Disc brakes. I'll let you know in a few days. I'm going tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Thanks again,
Murfman66

Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:28 pm 
steelfinattic

The power setup is the same on the Mustangs and Falcons to 1969 also. I used one from a 67 Fairlane in my 66 the only difference is in the tie rods . If you already have the Granada setup you have already changed tie rods just use them on the power and it will work just fine. This may help a little in your search.

Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:38 am 
murfman66

What about steering column?

You're right, I'm using 67 Fairlane inner tie rods. Did you change out the steering column? Or will the 66 column work?
Thanks,
Murfman66

Post Mon May 12, 2008 6:14 pm 
scotta66gt

66/67 Steering changes

Howdy. FWIW the steering changed from 66 to 67 due to safety regs - the 66 box is a straight long single shaft from inside the box to the steering wheel. The 67 box has a short stub going to a rag joint then a shorter shaft to the wheel. It's a two piece design for safety. So at least that part is different. - Scott

Post Tue May 13, 2008 8:55 am 
steelfinattic

I used the column from my 66 since it was a late 66 and had the rag joint on it. The earlier 66s didn't have the rag joint on the manual cars it was only on the power cars they changed to the rag joint late in the 66 model year . The 67 colums is different than the 66 also. the hazzard lights are on the column in 67 and they are in the glove box on the 66. I don't know if they will plug into the harness I never tried that. Your best bet if your column doesn't have a rag joint is to try and find a late 66 manual car or any 66 with power steering on it. I have a couple colums around here I will look and see if I still have one from a 66 with the rag joint if you are interested in it. Hope this helps.

Post Wed May 14, 2008 1:32 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: