Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

289 Rebuild heads are back, questions begin

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wped-tv

289 Rebuild heads are back, questions begin

I picked up the heads today. Gave them $360.10. LABOR, Install 16 valve guides $64. Install 8 valve seats fot exhaust $40. Valve job $65. Degrease $25. Magniflux inspection $10. PARTS, 16 guides $32. 4 11/2 inch freeze plugs $1.20. 8 seats $37.84. 16 springs $36.96. And they gave me a box with my old springs and the rocker arms, fulcrums and nuts were in there. As a kid i remember someone saying to keep parts that wear on each other together, so when you put them back together the wear patterens match and dont cause faster wear by being mis matched. Would this be true on the rocker arms. Should he have not marked what valve the rocker came from and the fulcrum and nut that go with it? Also on the tips of the valves you can tell they have been surfaced but on the edge of the valve it is slightly "nunged". like it didnt hit the grinder square. I dont know how the rocker arm contacts the valve. Should it be perfectly flat across or does the rocker arm only contact the center of the valve so it wont matter. these are not rail rockers used from 66 and a half up. it is before that. The fun has begun.

Post Mon May 01, 2006 7:48 pm 
GerryProctor

There is no problem with marrying up different rockers, fulcrums, pushrods and such. There are only a few parts of the engine that require that level of attention. Main caps, rod assemblies, and cam and lifter associations.

A rocker with perfect geometry will put the contact point of the rocker exactly on the center of the valve stem from closed to open. Doesn't happen that way in reality. What you're looking for is that at full open, the rocker contact is in the center of the valve stem. If you have that, the rocker will travel across the valve stem but will be nowhere near the edges. It should also be centered from side to side.

Post Tue May 02, 2006 5:37 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: