Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Insurance issues

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
First Car... My 67 500

Insurance issues

I'm 18 and there are not very many agencies out there that will provide me with classic coverage on my car. Who do you get your car insured with? i have it insured with state farm, but because of my age they wont allow me to classify it under a collector car. Are there any companies that you know of that will cover me?

Thanks in Advanced

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:52 pm 
Lawdog

What difference does it make to you if it is classified under a classic or standard policy. If the car is insured it is insured, not?

Some companies will give you a "stated value policy," you have to get the car appraised first though.

Also beware with classic insurance as some classic policies have provisions that they are only covered, to/ during/ and from car shows or parades

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:19 am 
la8ron

quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog:

Also beware with classic insurance as some classic policies have provisions that they are only covered, to/ during/ and from car shows or parades

Here in New Zealand the classic insurance offered by the insurance companies has a limited mileage clause in it as well (limited to either 3000 miles or 5000 miles).

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:29 am 
trav1856

same in the states.

What we should do is figure out some way to start our OWN insurance company for classic car owners only. Insure them for daily driving, and have optional/additional replacement value insurance. Granted, premiums would be higher...but then again, it would be just like any other new car, only classic cars don't depreciate....that'd be a hard sell, but then again, most classic car owners drive their cars as if they were wrapped in babies, and covered in glass.

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:14 am 
Rod Hahn

I have my 3 vehicles insured with JC Taylor for $248 a year. They have some cavets though! Only to be driven 2500 miles a year/has to be garaged/have to be a car club member - brand specific (Las Vegas Rancheo's - three 67's)(Southern Nevada Classic Chevy Club-one 57 Belair HDTP)/if the engine has been modified or changed they charge higher;i.e came stock with a 289 and was switched to a 390. You can determine it's value up to $9999 (but pay for it with a lil higher premiun). If valued over $10K you'll need to have a professional apprasial to go with the policy -- which you have to pay for. A important question to ask of the representative of any insurance company would be,"if the car was totaled or stolen, what would I get back in CASH?" I was originally insured with AAA of Calif with the 57 Chevy. Asked that question and their response was "Low book value!" Again asked "What is the low book value for a 57 hardtop" told me "$570". Told the man "CANCEL MY POLICY!" I was paying over $800 a year for Full Coverage. Don't assume because you think you car is worth $4000 you will get that back. Make darn shure, before plunking your money down. I'm not hyping that insurance company (JC Taylor), but they do stand behind the classic car collector and that is their niche in the insurance industry. Others on this site may use other insurers due to having multiple policies with an agency, i.e. HOME/ALL REGULAR VEHICLES/AND THEIR BELOVED CLASSICS, a discount will be given. Best advice is to shop and ask the obvious question(s) about what will your return be if the car is totaled or stolen. You might also consider having a parent insure it in thier name -- but you pay the bill. Might be a discount in the premium going that route. Rod in Vegas

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:34 am 
rcode

I've got some bad news for ya-no company will write a collectors policy for any 18 year old. I'm sure it's nothing personal but its a fact none the less. Just obtain adequate insurance through the carrier that will give you the best price. Remember to compare apples to apples when price shopping.

Good Luck, Rolling Eyes

Phil J

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:53 pm 
First Car... My 67 500

Thanks for all the responses, i almost was able to go with hagerty, but because of the driving record of my family members they were unable to approve the application. What i ended up doing is going through american family, but instead of being under my name it is under my parents name, but i am still able to drive the vechicle and its about a 100 bucks a month cheaper. Thanks again

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:17 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: